Academic Year 2021-2022 Courses
Information Regarding Architecture Course Applications and Online Registration:
Most of our fall architecture courses have a restriction on online enrollment (meaning that you will automatically appear on the wait list when you try to register online) and require an application in order to be admitted. Links to our fall 2021 applications are provided in the Fall 2021 Courses list below.
Most of our Fall 2021 course applications were initially due on April 6th and were reviewed and processed during the university's first early online registration period, from April 5–April 9, 2021. (Please see our Notes section below for exceptions to this).
After April 9, our department will conduct two more rounds of reviewing online applications and admitting students to our fall courses. We plan to do this during the following add/drop periods:
June 7- 11 2021: Early online registration week for Fall 2021
August 25-27: Early online registration period for Fall 2021
In order to be fully considered for a spot in one of our courses, you must submit an application and also register for it online at the earliest opportunity. If an application requires you to rank multiple courses in order of preference, please register online for your top choice. Upon registering, you will automatically appear on the wait list for that class. If and/or when your application is reviewed and approved, our department will immediately move you from the wait list to the class list. If you apply but do not also register for the course online, we will not be able to admit you. If the course is full and we are unable to accommodate you, we will email you to let you know.
For a complete list of fall courses across the university that have been approved to fulfill various architecture major and minor requirements, please see here: https://architecture.barnard.edu/approved-courses-majors-minor
Information Regarding COVID-19 Limited Capacity Studio Reopening:
The Barnard + Columbia Architecture Department expects to be able to reopen the 404 Diana studio, 116 Lewisohn studio, and 401 Diana computer lab for in-person teaching this fall.
Fall 2021 Courses
All of our fall 2021 courses will be full-semester courses.
|ARCH UN1010.01||DESIGN FUTURES: NEW YORK CITY||F 1:10-4:25||Tang, F.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN1010.02||DESIGN FUTURES: NEW YORK CITY||F 1:10-4:25||Black, V.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN1020||INTRO TO ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN & VISUAL CULTURE||MW 1:10-3:00||Rouhe, T.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN2101.01||ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN: SYSTEMS AND MATERIALS||TR 9:00-11:50||Cristobal, D.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN2101.02||ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN: SYSTEMS AND MATERIALS||MW 9:00-11:50||Rouhe, T.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN2103||ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN: ENVIRONMENTS AND MEDIATIONS||MW 10:00-12:50||Schwartzman, M.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN3120||CITY, LANDSCAPE AND ECOLOGY||TR 2:40-3:55||Ghoche, R.||N/A|
|ARCH UN3201||ADVANCED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN I||MW 9:00-11:50||Baxi, K.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN3211||ADVANCED ARCHITECTURAL RESEARCH & DESIGN||MW 9:00-11:50||Galán, I.||TK||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN3312||SPECIAL TOPICS: ENVIRONMENTS FOR INCLUSION||MW 6:00-7:25||Verona, I.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN3502||URBANIZING CHINA||MW 2:40-3:55||Smith, N.||N/A|
|ARCH UN3901||SENIOR SEMINAR: ARCHITECTURAL CRITICISM||R 12:10-2:00||Stephens, S.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH UN3997||INDEPENDENT STUDY||N/A||Multiple Sections||N/A||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH GU4140||MEDITERRANEAN CONFRONTATIONS||W 4:10-6:00||Ghoche, R.||APPLY HERE|
|ARCH GU4150||ARCHITECTURE AND MIGRATION IN NEW YORK||T 4:10-6:00||Galán, I.||N/A|
- Both sections of our course ARCH UN1010 Design Futures: NYC typically meet on Fridays from 1:10-4:25 PM but occasionally meet until 5:25 PM.
- Unlike our other courses, the application for both sections of ARCH UN1010 Design Futures: NYC aren't due until August 26, 2021. Applications for Design Futures: NYC will be reviewed and processed on August 27, 2021 and applicants will receive an update on the status of their application by the first day of classes.
- Unlike our other courses, the application for ARCH UN3211 Advanced Architectural Research & Design isn't due until June 25, 2021. Applications for that particular course will be processed starting on June 26, 2021 and applicants will receive an update on the status of their application within a few weeks.
- To request a course description for ARCH UN3211 Advanced Architectural Research & Design, please email the instructor at email@example.com.
- ARCH UN3502 Urbanizing China has a required discussion section. Weekly discussion groups will be arranged closer to the start of the fall semester.
- ARCH GU4150 Architecture and Migration and New York has the following co-requisite course: ARCH A4470 Methods in Spatial Research.
- ARCH GU4150 Architecture and Migration and New York doesn't have any online enrollment restrictions and does not require an application but the class size will be capped at 16 students and the class list won't be finalized until August 2021. If you are interested in taking this seminar, please register for it online along with the co-requisite course ARCH A4470 to convey your interest. The instructor will provide further instructions and information later this spring.